
If we do not know the meaning of plagiarism is a big problem but if I we do not know that after being on academic English course for almost two month it is a catastrophe!
I have done Task 10 in our book, about plagiarism and I find useful information on the web learn.
In order not to plagiarise this is the definition of the word plagiarise according to
The concise Oxford dictionary (6th edition) (1976)
To plagiarise mean to take and use another person’s (thought, writing or inventions) as one’s own.
Or
According to Oxford advanced learner’s dictionary (5th edition) (1976)
To copy another person’s words or work and pretend that they are your own.
AS you see the figure shows the different kind of plagiarism I arranged them from the top to the bottom of the pyramid according to the degree of plagiarism from worse to the worst. In my opinion they are equal.
SO according to Hamp-Lyons & Courter (1984, pp. 161-166) distinguish between four types of plagiarism:
Outright copying: to copy all the work without using quotation marks or mentions the source of information.
Paraphrase plagiarism: To use some synonyms or to change grammatical structure with keeping the backbone or the Skelton of the original text.
Patchwork plagiarism: to just rearrange the original text in a different way.
Stealing an apt term: to use short phrase or expression that is usually well written!
The problem is that we cannot have patent for our thought and many people consider intellectual information not important. I prefer to lose my money rather than to lose my ideas and my concepts.
It seems that it is something easy that people can solve by apologizing but it goes far beyond our belief for what we have been taught and for what is written on page 7 in our book.
I hope everyone learns this task by heart because it protects us before the others and If we want to apologize we should say sorry for betraying ourselves.
Here Is a nice, informative and entertaining video about plagiarism
http://library.camden.rutgers.edu/EducationalModule/Plagiarism/
No comments:
Post a Comment